Monday, February 3, 2014

February 3rd, 2014

Monday

As usual for the weather prognosticators, they will spend a week hyping a snow that doesn't amount to anything and then scrambled during the day yesterday to update the forecast to a close approximation of what we had dumped on us overnight! I woke up to about 8 inches of snow this morning, so I delayed by usual trek to work (and train) for an hour.

I went away form my normal dynamic type warm-up.

Warm-Up
1 min easy AirDyne
4 rounds tabata DUs (hitting 30 unbroken each round with no shoes, which was not smart, but definitely an incentive not to miss!)
Worked on opening up my hips and shoulders using PVC and Swiss Ball
Spent some time in couch stretch
Band distractions
then the "Outlaw" Snatch Progress Warmup (seen here in Spencer Arnold's video - http://vimeo.com/61238640) - I completed this once with PVC then with empty bar. On a side note, I was introduced to this warmup by Alana Richey, head coach and owner of Palmetto Crossfit. If you're ever in Charleston, SC drop-in and check them out, cause like we say in Southeast Ohio, she is good people!

I felt ready to invest some quality time!

A. Snatch Balance 1-1-1-1-1

#75 - #95 - #105 - #110 - #115 - these felt very good today. I feel like I was able to get under them and keep my feet (relatively) closer than last week.




B.  Squat Snatch - 15 minutes to build to a max.

These felt very good today. I hit a new PR by #20 pounds! Excuse the yell during the video, I was pretty hyped! While #155 is not a huge number for most, I am very pleased with where my snatch has come in the past 3 weeks. 



C1.  Push Press  4 x 5-7 reps, tempo: 11X2 rest 10 seconds
C2. 4 x 15 CTB Pullups - mandatory sets of 5 -  Rest 2 minutes 

1st Set - #155 felt good and fast, CTB were ok, I'm still trying to keep from tearing my hand again (theme on these pulls today)

2nd set - #165 still felt solid, CTB went fine in the 5 sets

3rd set - #170 felt heavy, focused on pushing through and not jerking, CTb were a bit more difficult, but still good in the sets of 5

4th set - #175 actually felt better than the #170, but I could definitely feel the added weight on my shoulders when the CTB came. I was glad to finish those in the sets of 5 and still have my hands intact. 

then

7:00 clock: AMRAP

30 double unders, 15 power snatch @ #75

This one got spicy! I planned to treat this one like an EMOM and try to get 7 full rounds, and that plan went downhill after round 2. I went unbroken a couple of rounds, and a miss on the others. I was glad to be able to go unbroken on the DUs at the beginning of round 6.  I was able to stay unbroken on the snatches for 3 full rounds, round 4 went 8-7, round 5 went 10-5. Watching myself on the power snatches made me cringe, rounded back and high hips will smoke my back and bleed me of energy if I don't clean that technique up!




No comments:

Post a Comment