Friday, April 3, 2015

Looking Back on the 2015 CrossFit Open

The 2015 CrossFit Open has come and gone leaving some looking forward to Regionals or the Master's Qualifier. I am fortunate enough to have qualified for a second year to participate in the Master's Qualifier.



WORKOUT 15.1 - 82(187)
Complete as many rounds and reps as possible in 9 minutes of:
15 toes-to-bars
10 deadlifts (115 lb.)
5 snatches (115 lb.)

187 was my posted score, but I hit 205 on my redo. Felt much better to break into smaller sets on the TTB, unbroken on the DLs and singles on the snatch. The first time through I had a lot of grip smoking, really felt it the day after, but not so much on the second attempt. I was very pleased with how I ranked on the 205, but I couldn't post it because of the glaring hole in my game (overhead strength).


WORKOUT 15.1a - 1083 (235)
1-rep-max clean and jerk
6-minute time cap

1RM strength is a weakness of mine. I hit 235 on the first go around, missed 236 on the second so i only could have posted a 225 make to go with my 205 from the AMRAP. Still the 235 was 95% of my 1RM. Too bad it took 270+ to be competitive on this one!



WORKOUT 15.2 - 50 (244)

Every 3 minutes for as long as possible complete:

From 0:00-3:00 2 rounds of: 10 overhead squats (95 / 65 lb.)
10 chest-to-bar pull-ups
From 3:00-6:00 2 rounds of: 12 overhead squats (95 / 65 lb.)
12 chest-to-bar pull-ups
From 6:00-9:00 2 rounds of: 14 overhead squats (95 / 65 lb.)
14 chest-to-bar pull-ups
Etc., following same pattern until you fail to complete both rounds

This was my best finish of the open. I was very pleased to get into the round of 18s on this year's repeat workout. I felt like I was able to maintain good position on the OHS and #95 was a movable weight for me. I was able to cycle a few CTB butterfly pull-ups which enabled me to get to the 18s. This is something I need to invest technique work into during the off-season so that I am more proficient in the movement.




WORKOUT 15.3 - 116 (425)
Complete as many rounds and reps as possible in 14 minutes of:
7 muscle-ups
50 wall-ball shots
100 double-unders

I was very disappointed in not being able to get a full 3 rounds of this one. I did this workout twice and was hit the same score on each despite having an additional 20+ seconds to collect double unders. I was able to cycle 7 muscle ups to start the 2nd workout attempt. I broke the rest in 2s and 3s. I would like to get to the point where I can cycle 5-7 on a consistent basis under fatigue. I do need to clean up the technique on the muscle ups. The wall balls were the portion of this workout that I failed. I was able to break them into 10s in the first two rounds, but had to fall to 5s in the 3rd round of these. I feel I need to get better at cycling high reps and in subsequent rounds of workouts to improve in this are. The DUs were mostlty on and in sets of 25. For some reason this have not flowed quite as well lately for me.


WORKOUT 15.4 - 506 (77)
Complete as many reps as possible in 8 minutes of:
3 handstand push-ups
3 cleans - 
Men clean 185 lb.
6 handstand push-ups
3 cleans
9 handstand push-ups
3 cleans
12 handstand push-ups
6 cleans
15 handstand push-ups
6 cleans
18 handstand push-ups
6 cleans
21 handstand push-ups
9 cleans
Etc., adding 3 reps to the handstand push-up each round, and 3 reps to the clean every 3 rounds.

Had this workout came a year ago, I would have been woefully ill-prepared for it. During the 2014 Master's Qualifier, I failed many attempts on HSPUs. I was ok with being able to accumulate 77 reps on this workout. I wanted to get through the 18s, but my overhead strength is not there yet. I did the power cleans as all singles. I need to develop the ability to string multiples together under fatigue. 


I do like the new HSPU standard as it does give me a better frame of reference and something to work towards. That being said, I need to be more solid in my strict HSPUs. I stayed away from them as kipping allowed me to move faster during my training. 

WORKOUT 15.5 - 192 (8:18)
27-21-15-9 reps for time of:
Row (calories)
Thrusters 95 lb.


For some reason I did this workout twice! Improved my time by 30+ seconds, but still way off of a competitive pace. The row was fairly easy fro me, I was able to pull between 1300-1500 calories/hour consistently. The thrusters again are my nemesis. I struggle with high rep thrusters.  I think I need my time in the suck portion of these. I am disappointed in my inability to go to the dark place to not put the bar down. 



Looking Forward
Short Term:

In a couple of week I'll be competing in the Master's Qualifier workouts. Realistically, I probably don't have a chance to qualify out of this round as my 148th finish in the Open will go in as my first score for the Master's Qualifier. I feel that if you're outside of the top 50 it would be very hard if not impossible to qualify. My goal will be to perform my best during the qualifier, and have a top 20 finish on at least one of the workouts. The rest will fall as they may.

Long Term:
This years open showed me that I am lacking in three majors areas:

1. Overall strength. I am fairly decent at moving light/moderate weight over a long time domain, but on 1 RM lifts I am lagging far behind my peers. I know it will take time to develop this, but I will put that time in and get as strong as I can within the time frame I have. I feel my strict strength has dropped and i need to get back to that as it serves the basis for me. 

2. Technique/Skill. I have improved tremendously since I began CrossFit, but I need to clean up many areas of movement. Hitting the proper positions and being more efficient in my movements will help me improve my overall ability to compete. This will also be aided by working mobility to be able to hit the correct positions with greater ease than I now do (especially front rack). 

3. Muscular Endurance : By this I mean being able to cycle higher reps of movements. I need to be able to push though and not fall into the habit of singles (barbells) and small sets (body weight and light movements). 

No comments:

Post a Comment