Sunday, January 6, 2013

Inclement Climbing

Shawnee State Forest...you cannot find a more wretched hive of climbs in southeastern Ohio...or something
like that! Joe and I made the trek south to the Shawnee State Forest area just west of Portsmouth, OH. The are is simply beautiful, and offers up some tremendous view of the river valley and hills of southeastern Ohio. It also provides us with some tremendous gravel road training climbs. These are the closest we have to coming anywhere near the climbing that Joe will see next month at the Southern Cross.

I'm sure glad I mounted up the Michelin knobbies on the D460, it was slick and icy and muddy and just about every possible road condition you could envision int he short 24 miles we covered today. The weather was very difficult to dress for, as the temperature stayed in the lower 30s, but the climbing heated up my core, and the descents  brought it right back to cold! 



We were able to accumulate over 2500 feet of climbing, which is much needed to get ready for the Death March and Warrior Creek races that we be here before long. 

I felt good on the bike today, and didn't hit a Crossfit WOD today. I'm going to cut my training volume for a week and see if how that affects me. It always good to change up volume and methods to keep it fresh. 




The Strava Track:



Of course I had to compile the shots from today's ride into a video:

Video:

No comments:

Post a Comment