Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Finding "It"`

Find "it"! Whatever the "it" that drives you. The 'it" that motivates you. Find the 'it" that will get you investing into your fitness. Find the 'it" that will enable you to be healthy today than yesterday. To be stronger. To be able to withstand the unknowable that lies ahead. To take that first step that leads to more than you thought were possible yesterday.

You may find you motivation in someone close to you. Someone who has made changes to their choices and have reaped the benefits. I have been very fortunate to have  two awesome people to help push me along. My wife and by friend Joe. My wife is always extremely supportive of my fitness habits (be it getting up at 4:30 AM, or spending an entire Sunday on a bike, or helping me eat healthier). I am truly blessed to have her. With  Joe Finch, what can I say, he pushes me to stay up with him on the bike. He is always be active and maintaining his fitness, I hope I am able to stay as healthy as him as I approach my retirement (not saying he is old...).


Extending past my immediately close support system. I have others who helped me push through just by connecting. Another is Jason Prater. Jason is a sports performance coach who trains many of our local athletes. he often uses Jackson High School facilities, and other than seeing each other around, we didn't connect until almost a year ago. He has been a #positive influence. I find much value in the time I can spend with him and pick his brain about workout technique, more importantly, approach to life.


Around the same time, I started getting more into Crossfit. I, of course, started tweeting about my WODs, and found an extra source of motivation in two of my "tweeps", Adam Truitt (@mountainteaacher) and Jeff Richardson (@jrichardson30). We stated tweeting our WODs back and forth, along with Jason (@JasonEPrater). They were fellow educators who I had found value in as part of my PLN, and logically it extended into fitness as well. I am always anticipating seeing what my fellow #CrossfitEd brothers are doing. These guys have served as the foundation for a huge increase in my fitness and my motivation. They are part of my "it".


One of my co-workers and friends who is a tremendous source of inspiration for me is our technology Coordinator, Steve Marion. We started working out together as part of a Functional Strength Training class last winter, and the strides  he has made in his fitness astound me. He continues to push himself to become stronger (just moved up to the #50 kettlebell!) and fitter (really moving on the Concept2 rower). I think that he surprises himself sometimes, and that really gets me stoked!



As things have progressed, I was approached by one of our teachers, Tyler Swackhammer, who was interested in changing things up in his own fitness routine. I was already doing workout in the morning before school, and we decided to go a bit earlier, and now have a real solid group of 5 - 8 guys hitting a workout before the day begins. More motivation! Everyday they inspire me to get better and to keep going! Morgan, David, Jake, Doug, and Jsaon make it happen! I love it! 

You may have noticed the hashtag #CrossfitEd, it was suggested to me by innovative Indiana educator Don Wettrick (@DonWettrick). While it has not been a trending topic as of yet, this continues to motivate me because of the connection made with Don. Along the theme of investing in fitness in the education community, I have made similar great connects with Shaun White (@swpax), and fellow OhioEd Aaron Cook (@MrAaronCook) and Wes Weaver (@WesLVHS)

They have been numerous others that I have connected with digitally, and face to face that I hope I can add some value to as we follow each other and interact. I would welcome any comments or questions.

The Daily Work:





Today was a partner workout. I love these.


For time with work split with a partner:
60 low 5 push-ups
200 meter #135 barbell carry
50 Bar Facing Burpees
200 meter #135 barbell carry
40 Deadlifts
200 meter #135 barbell carry
30 Clean and Jerk
200 meter #135 barbell carry
20 Floor Wipers
200 meter #135 barbell carry
10 Burpee Cleans

Jake and I finished in 17:14. It was tough, but I felt great afterward! the partner motivation really pays off! We will be working in more of these partner WODs as we approach the Tough Mudder, hopefully it was make a difference.

Tonight on the afterschool ride, Joe and I did the "Fisher Fitness" loop. Named after former JHS coach Dave Fisher, whose house we used to pass on the ride. This ride is intervals. Not my choice, but by terrain. It is one short punchy hill after another. You get just enough time for your heart rate to come down, and then you are heading right back up! I felt better tonight than I had all week on the bike, and this was by far the most intense ride of the week.

\


No comments:

Post a Comment